Sports & Exercise Massage, 2nd Edition
Providing guidelines for applying massage to amateur and professional athletes, Sports & Exercise Massage: Comprehensive Care in Athletics, Fitness, & Rehabilitation, 2nd Edition helps you address the challenges of treating clients involved in sports, physical fitness, rehabilitation, and exercise. In-depth coverage describes common patterns for sports activities, such as running and throwing, and uses the principles of massage to focus on assessment techniques, indications, contraindications, and outcome goals. This edition includes a new chapter on stretching, hundreds of full-color photos of techniques, and an Evolve companion website with step-by-step videos demonstrating sports massage applications. Written by noted educator and massage therapy expert Sandy Fritz, this resource provides the proven massage techniques you need to manage common exercise and sports injuries and syndromes.
New to this edition
- UPDATED photos and illustrations show techniques with more clarity than before.
- NEW Stretching chapter shows how to use methods of stretching in a safe and beneficial manner.
- UPDATED complete general protocol suitable for the common athlete is included on the Evolve companion website, featuring a video and a step-by-step guide that can easily be modified to meet the specific needs of athletic clients.
- Added emphasis on treatment planning for athletic clients includes case studies and more In My Experience boxes describing Sandy Fritz’s real-life experiences with sports massage.
- Expanded chapter on research supports evidence-informed practice, including research on fascia and kinesiotaping.
- Additional orthopedic tests most commonly used by massage therapists are included to enhance your skills in assessment and referral.
- Comprehensive coverage includes all the essentials of sports and exercise massage in one resource, with topics such as theories of sports, fitness, and rehabilitation; a brief anatomy and physiology review; basic nutrition for fitness; a review of massage methods and detailed descriptions of therapeutic techniques that apply to sports massage, such as lymph drainage, care of acute injury, connective and deep tissue applications, and pain management; and discussions of categories of injury common to athletes: sprains, strains, wounds, contusions, joint injury, and more.
- More than 600 full-color illustrations show procedures, concepts, and techniques.
- Student-friendly features include chapter outlines and learning objectives, key terms, summaries, review questions, a glossary, and In My Experience boxes highlighting real-life situations in sports and exercise massage.
- Case studies provide an opportunity to develop clinical reasoning skills.
- Student resources on an Evolve companion website include videos demonstrating techniques, a stretching atlas, a general massage protocol, and additional case studies.
- Expert author Sandy Fritz provides massage for professional athletes in many sports, and her school, the Health Enrichment Center, had a 13-year partnership with the Detroit Lions.