Medical-Surgical Nursing, 11th Edition
Learn the clinical judgment skills you need to succeed on the Next-Generation NCLEX® Exam and in medical-surgical nursing practice with Iggy’s trendsetting, concept-based approach! Ignatavicius’s Medical-Surgical Nursing, 11th Edition provides a solid foundation in nursing care that is patient-centered, evidence-based, and collaborative.
New to this edition
- NEW! Updated content throughout reflects the most current, evidence-based clinical practice in medical-surgical nursing, including the latest national and international guidelines.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Key components of AACN’s 2021 Essentials are integrated throughout, including the four “spheres of nursing care: health promotion/disease prevention, chronic disease care, regenerative or restorative care, and hospice/palliative/supportive care.
- NEW! One unfolding case for the Next-Generation NCLEX® Exam (NGN) in each Concepts of Care chapter replaces the previous open-ended Clinical Judgment Challenge questions, and each includes multiple questions for the NGN, or 2-3 Bowtie or Trend questions for the NGN.
- NEW! Enhanced emphasis on need-to-know content with streamlined A&P and pathophysiology content provides a solid foundation for beginning nurse generalists, including the most important patient problems for each health condition and an emphasis on what is most relevant to nursing care.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Iggy’s approach to care views medical and nursing management through the lens of the nursing process and the six cognitive skills of the NCSBN Clinical Judgment Measurement Model, and aligns with the Interprofessional Education Collaborative (IPEC) Core Competencies for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice.
- NEW! Case Studies for the NGN on the Evolve website are updated from the previous open-ended question style to questions for the NGN.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Key Points in Concepts of Care chapters summarize essential information for each of the nursing spheres with a four-quadrant matrix corresponding to the four spheres of care from the 2021 AACN Essentials.
- NEW! Essential Points for Assessment are included at the end of chapters to emphasize critical information in alignment with the 2021 AACN Essentials.
- NEW and UNIQUE! The six domains recommended for inclusion in nursing education in the 2020-2030 Future of Nursing Report are incorporated into the textbook, including new Nurse Well-Being boxes, covering the domains of health equity and health care equity, social determinants of health, ethics, environmental health, disaster/public health emergencies, and nurse well-being.
- NEW! Coverage of COVID-19 is expanded into an Exemplar disorder, highlighting the multifaceted aspects of care including critical care, and COVID-19 content is also interwoven into other body systems chapters.
- NEW! Enhanced index includes all figures, tables, and special boxes, as well as the following types of content:
- Legal/ethical issues (including boxes)
- Health equity (including boxes)
- Veteran health (including boxes)
- Older adult health (including boxes)
- Health promotion/disease prevention
- Critical care topics
- Trauma topics
- Physical disability topics
- Chronic disease topics
- Interprofessional collaboration topics (including IPEC boxes)
- Healthcare technologies
- Evidence-based practice (including boxes)
- Quality improvement/systems thinking (including boxes)
- NEW! Ethical/Legal Considerations boxes are changed to Legal/Ethical Considerations boxes and increased in number throughout the book to reflect the growing challenges of clinical practice.
- NEW! Sequential numbering systems (one for boxes, one for tables) are used for special boxes and Drug Therapy and Lab Profile tables throughout each chapter for quicker and more concise referencing.
- UNIQUE! Unparalleled focus on clinical judgment and systems thinking ensures alignment with the NCSBN Clinical Judgment Measurement Model and emphasizes the six cognitive skills that you’ll need in order to develop effective clinical judgment, to succeed when taking the Next-Generation NCLEX® Exam (NGN), and to enter clinical practice as a safe, competent, compassionate generalist nurse.
- UNIQUE! Data-driven Concept and Exemplar selections provide a strong foundation in professional nursing concepts and health and illness concepts, with application in each chapter.
- UNIQUE! Exceptional emphasis on NGN preparation includes chapter-opening Learning Outcomes and chapter-ending Get Ready for the Next-Generation NCLEX Examination! sections, plus NCLEX Examination Challenge questions and Mastery and NGN Questions, with an answer key including rationales on the Evolve website.
- Consistent use of interprofessional terminology promotes interprofessional collaboration through the use of a common healthcare language, instead of using nursing-specific diagnostic language.
- Emphasis on patient safety highlights safety and evidence-based practice with Nursing Safety Priority boxes, as well as Drug Alert, Critical Rescue, and Action Alert boxes.
- Focus on care coordination and transition management addresses the continuity of care between acute care and community-based care.
- Direct, easy-to-read writing style features concise sentences and straightforward vocabulary, making this one of the most readable medical-surgical nursing textbooks available.
- Sherpath (sold separately) for Ignatavicius et al. Medical-Surgical Nursing, 11th Edition provides an interactive, adaptive learning experience!