Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office, 7th Edition
This full-color text prepares dental professionals to promptly and proactively recognize and manage medical emergencies that may occur in the dental office. It details how to anticipate potential emergencies and what resources must be on hand to deal effectively with these situations. The book is arranged in eight sections concentrating on topics such as prevention of emergencies through patient evaluation (medical history) and specific types of more common emergencies that practitioners may encounter.
"It successfully fulfils its aim of stimulating all members of the dental team to improve and maintain their skills in the effective prevention, recognition and management of medical emergencies."Reviewed by: European Journal of Orthodontics, March 2015
"..very easy to read and provides a very comprehensive reference for a variety of medical emergencies." Reviewed by S.McKernon on behalf of British Dental Journal, July 2015
New to this edition
- UPDATED content includes the most current guidelines for drug-related emergencies, unconsciousness, altered consciousness, and cardiac arrest as well as protocols for obstructed airway management.
- UPDATED PCABD boxes reflect the American Heart Association’s new sequence of steps for stabilizing and treating victims with an easy-to-remember acronym: Positioning, Circulation, Airway, Breathing, and Definitive Management.
- UPDATED! Emergency drug and equipment kit instructions help you assemble emergency kits and ensure that your dental office has safe, current materials on hand.
- A logical format reflects the way emergencies are encountered in a dental practice, with chapters organized by commonly seen clinical signs and symptoms, such as unconsciousness or altered consciousness, respiratory distress, seizures, drug-related emergencies, chest pain, and cardiac arrest.
- Step-by-step procedures include detailed, numbered instructions for stabilizing and treating victims (PCABD) in common medical emergencies.
- Full-color illustrations demonstrate emergency techniques in realistic clarity.
- Summary tables and boxes make it easy to find essential concepts and information.
- Quick-reference algorithms in the appendix include step-by-step diagrams showing the decision-making process in common emergency situations.
- A differential diagnosis chapter ends each of the book’s parts on common emergencies.